Wednesday, November 4, 2009
Review of Disney's A Christmas Carol by DC Tauntaun
If I hadn't already seen many other versions, I would not have found this one so different. Remakes for good or for bad are always up against a preconceived vision of what it should be, could be, or is. I enjoyed this version, especially the amazing 3D, but it's dark and "different". I think it will take a lot of people until the end of the show to remember it is The Christmas Carol after all. It follows Charles Dickens story just fine, so don't panic. It just takes a darker, creepier slant, and flies full of imagination. That imagination might even be what keeps it from greatness in that it actually sort of gets in the way of the story. But at the same time that imagination takes you on a ride that on it's own is pretty good. I found myself going back and forth from amzaing animation and 3D to "oh ya, this is the Christmas Carol". I was surprised at how subtle Jim Carrey was able to play the role of scrooge. Actually, I enjoyed all the voice work as it was well done. Be ready for some real creepy and spooky ghosts as they do not hold back. The littlest ones may need to close their eyes those parts. One subtle aspect to the film, is that it felt more like a motivational movie than a Christmas Movie. Charles Dickens timeless story hits home to everyone, and in this film it certainly reminds not to let life go by and treat others well. And although not a bad thing by any means, it didn't leave me singing Christmas songs and thinking of a merry Christmas. Just looking at my past, my present, and my future.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment