To successfully enjoy this film 1) do not take it seriously 2) do not compare it to any film that you consider a nominee for an academy award 3) Suspend belief and stop thinking why, how, or really? Do those and you will walk away having laughed often and satisified over this cheesy, over the top, cliche riddled, destruction film. I know the director doesn't believe in the Mayan prophecy, he had way too much fun making this film to consider it anything more than a chance to play. I can see him rubbing his hands together trying to come up with another way to destroy something else.
The action scenes get so proposterous at times, I found myself laughing really hard. Not because it was comedy, but because .... Looking back, it was an amusing laugh because I ultimately enjoyed this grand, shallow, spectacle. I can hear it already, "Can you believe how outrageous those scenes were? Could never happen", then to hear my retort, "I didn't go in there to feel the dearth of acting talent. I went in to have fun, and have fun I did."
It is very long, so time that potty break when you hit one of the many "dialogue" driven moments. No they don't spend 2 and a half hours destroying things. Once it hits full throttle though, you will be holding it.
Chalk this one up as the film this year that many will not admit to liking, but inside, they enjoyed it. It's Built to entertain. So stop trying to figure it out and go get that refill on your popcorn as you still have 120 minutes left to go!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Awesome review. Just what I expect and want. Bring on the cinematic destruction!
Post a Comment