Friday, July 16, 2010

Standing Ovation Review by DC Tauntaun

As the others were smiling and screening what sounds to be the amazing film, Inception, I took the small budgeted, independant film Standing Ovation. Whenever I see a film that was obviously made by an independant filmaker, I try to watch through a different set of eyes. Of course it wasn't as polished as other films. Of course the acting wasn't great. Of course the storyline and editing were flawed. The list goes on for independent films by newer filmakers. But in independent film, you look for diamonds in the rough, or gems within the film that give it watching power. Did Standing Ovation hit that target? Yes and No. Yes, if you have young daughters that like to sing and dance. Yes, if you like overly sappy feel good films with 12 year old stars. Yes, if you like watching different styles of choreography (good and bad). It reminded me of one of those old cheesy 80's musicals. On the flip side, no it isn't a diamond in the rough. It never reaches the point that it makes you want to cheer for the winning group. I remember when I was a lot younger watching the film Girls Just Want to Have Fun, and although it was a horribly made film, at least I was pulling for the winners. I will say though the "evil" dad of the Wiggy family was well cast. Talk about annoying. Loaded with silly humor and song after song, the musical fan may find it appealing. If my daughter was a bit older, maybe I'd find more to it. But think low budget and independant so at least you'll stop judging it and instead start tapping your feet and try to sing along.

No comments: