As the live big screen "play" of Glenn Beck approached on December 17th at the Old Mill 16, I wanted to know more about it in order to tell customers about it, so I bought the audio book (my preferred way to read a book...lol). After listening to it, I am glad that I did.
It is not a great book, but it is a great story. I am guessing the critics will shred it due to it's literary failings, but I am also guessing that most of the rest of us will find something that we relate to and get engrossed in it. The public is going to enjoy this book.
Based on true events when he was 12 years old, Glenn takes you down a path that makes your stomach churn and a desire to reach out and wring his little neck. Wow, that look in his mothers eyes as his sweater lay crumpled on the floor. The book is loaded with messages aimed at redemption, forgiveness, and self worth. Obviously, it also reminds one blatently how "love of things" can overcome "love of people" or "love of family". Although I have read other motivational books that have hit me stronger, this one took me down a path that was both entertaining and instructive. Almost like a self help book for how to "react" and "not react" in certain circumstances.
The book is not a hard read. The audio was read by the author and he entertains well with the different characters. I will not have a problem recommending it as a quality read.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Could I borrow the audio book for a trip to Portland this weekend?... If you're not using it of course :D
We're reading it now. It's been interesting only a few pages in I found the kids asking questions I have never talked to them about like what food stamps were. I'm glad we're talking about these things.
Post a Comment