Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Australia Review by DC Tauntaun

Australia looks like an epic, feels like an epic, and acts like an epic. The scope is grand, the cinematography large, and the story loaded. Then again, it is at times as slow moving as a cattle drive. And again, it is so long I think I went on the cattle drive. Australia is basically two movies in one. The first half easily could have stood on it's own as a film. I was perfectly happy with the way that first part ends and I think I just saw a pretty good film. Then the second half (the sequel if you want to think of it that way) continues the saga, but really loses it's way and takes off to tell "another" tale of Faraway Downs. Only that half doesn't hold the same stronger qualities of the first half. It does "wrap" up everything in the end, but they could have easily shortened it about an hour. I believe that viewers may walk away a little disappointed because the second half causes one to forget about the quality of the first half.

The story is decent, and the cinematograhpy is good. You will at times feel it's epic scope. You will actually cut it some slack because you find yourself wanting to have it get to the "epic" level you desire. From cattle drives, to walk abouts, to corrupt businessmen, and Japanese warplanes you may think you just watched a classic western meets World War 2 movie. Grand idea, but only good results. Note: there is one 15 second implied sex scene that is obvious when it shows up. Not a lot of language, but the one "F" word comes towards the end. Both were unnecessary for this film.

No comments: