Saturday, July 11, 2009

Review of I Love You Beth Cooper by DC Tauntaun

When I first looked to see that the movie I would be screening turned out to be I Love You Beth Cooper, I realized I would be taking one for the team. Sure enough, 6 reels later, I was putting ice on the bruises and looked for a mental hot tub to recover. Chris Columbus tried to make the "Can't Buy Me Love" of this generation, but obviously tried way too hard to make it something today's teens would like. It doesn't even come close. He missed the boat entirely. Not only is the film a collection of poorly timed humor, but it's attempt at fostering that meaning relationship between the popular girl and the nerd falls very, very flat without any realistic angles that the sappy at heart would find reasonable. Fairy Tales with unbelievable relationships were more believable than this Real tale. There is no chemistry between the two stars, and it feels more like the writers had no intention of getting the two together with their intent to only get you through with cheap laughs. If I had to sit through one more pointless flashback I would have found a way to give it negative stars. I tend to always find the positive in things, but right now I am struggling with finding anything in this movie that was positive. Don't just avoid this flop, let it go away into the night without another word said.

No comments: