Whoa. Wierd..... Over the top...... Loses it's way...... Tries to be what it is not.... Then again, I knew going in it's a movie about a red guy, that is deeply sarcastic, is based on a comic book, and..... so it just is what it is. I actually enjoyed the first hour better than the second hour. I felt they spent more time working on the characters and plot development in that first hour. The second hour the movie veers off drastically. The action sequences are very good during that stretch, but the dramatics feel contrived. Del Toro comes across as trying to make an academy award winner in a comic books clothing. It just didn't feel right.
I thought the first Hellboy was better made, but this one has a stronger Cinetographic brush. Beautifully shot, but then again, it felt like they were trying to make it look beautiful. I like getting lost in a movie, and I just couldn't with this one. Will it get nominated for a cinemetography academy award? Possibly.
Now if I put aside any sense of perfect movie making and look at it through a superhero fans eyes, one has to like the personality of Hellboy. Gritty and brash with a sense of humor that cracks you up. A simple bully trying to do what's right without seeming like he is trying to do what is right. Ron Pearlman is perfectly cast for the character so it isn't hard to cheer for him even though he always seems to be on the losing end.
I won't own this one, but I will say that if you liked the first, you should still see the second as it does add a new chapter. If you haven't seen the first, you should see it first to decide whether you should continue on.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment