Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Hancock Review by DC Tauntaun

In the beginning Hancock is a jerk and one big loser. Keep that in mind as the first 30 minutes holds a majority of the language and unnecessary scenes. Also, expect a couple of scenes that will turn your stomach if you normally hover in the PG range.

In regards to the film, I expect it will make a couple hundred million and many will walk away saying it is a cool film. Here I am now an hour since screening it, and I just can't put my finger on it's failings. Similar to Jumper, it is a cool concept that could have been executed better. Unlike Jumper though this film has more personality and the characters are better.

Certainly a unique twist to the superhero genre, and "cool" in many ways as Hancock makes his conversion from jerk to helper. That moral basis of the film does move well and his personal demons are pushed away, but the film as a whole just doesn't WOW. Did I enjoy it? Sure. Will I buy it? Probably not.

Flawed in many ways, expect an entertaining and unique angle to the action genre. Go have fun, expect a definate PG-13 rating, and forget about explaining what it is missing. Just enjoy what it does have or you will be disappointed.

No comments: