One of our informants let us know about a sign that went up in the Thornton's yard. Being political season we thought he had put up up something like"Vote Tom he is the bomb" or "Johnny Quest for state treasurer" but we were quickly corrected.
To our horror it was a moving sign. We immediately sent our reporters over to try and get the scoop. It was a mad house as there were reporters camped all over the street with cameras aimed. We sat there for days thinking how rude the Thornton's had become not answering their door. It was then that they pulled up and notified us they had been out of town. Oops.
Seeing the stress on our faces Vickie and Case put us at ease. Case said, "Bend is an incredible place to live, I love running the Old Mill movie theatre, and I could retire here, but the call for being closer to family speaks louder than my love of Bend." Vickie followed up with "This place has really grown on me and I really don't want to leave, but it is something we need to do."
We all tried to dig to find why they would do something so crazy, "Growing up I got to know my grandparents and they played a great part in my memories. My children are getting older now and I would like for them to have that same experience. Our children are growing up with no family around. We want to change that." The first thought in my mind was how we may have to uproot the Thornton Herald and move too, was I ready for that change. I did my best to convince Case to stay. I used his job as I knew he would never give up movies. He stunned me again, "I know there aren't any Regal Cinemas there in Utah, and it will be scary possibly going in a new career direction or finding a new job. But I am confident in my skills and I know a company out there will benefit from employing me."
They made it sound like they were not in a huge hurry, but selling the house was important so they were not tied down if something came up. His final words were, "we could be in Bend for another month or even a couple of years. For now though we will begin the process of moving back towards Utah or an area easily accessable to our families. That way when the day arrives we will be ready."
We wish them well, but hopefully they will stay in Bend for a while because my reporters have already started wining about how much hotter that area gets.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment